Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Short Aside...

Not to inturrupt the vacation pictures, but we had an interesting day we thought we'd share...

This morning while playing in the hall Jence fell against a corner and put a gash in his forehead.  He only cried for about three minutes as Al (who luckily had just come home from work to get some stuff ready for the move) and I soaked up the gush, then he was back to normal.  We headed to the hospital, again- our fifth trip with him- 


They debated but decided that gluing it shut would suffice.  Al says he got pretty queasy watching them open shut open shut that nasty gash in his little guy's face, we decided it's different (harder to handle) when it's your kid that's hurt.

But he just laid there on Al's lap (with this look on his face).  He was amazing. And of course Puppy was with us- fitting that a stuffed animal from Gramps would make so many hospital trips ("Oh my doctor and my nu-rse wheeled me down to surgery, put their masks on took their scissors, cut a big hole i-in me...")

Happy again with Mommy

Oh, wait- back again!  We went home and put Jence down for a nap and when Al went to get him up a few hours later he said that it looked like a horror movie, the glue was all undone and his forehead was all gory again.  So this time it was stitches.

They put anesthetic into his head and he didn't even flinch!  It was crazy, the Dr told us to harden our hearts because it was going to be awful and he just took it, with one silent little tear slipping down his face and slowly eating a marshmallow. 

Stitches.... like a champ!

Three (and I'm questioning if that was sufficient...) stitches later.  Look at this kid!

All's apparently well.


Just playing on the table, waiting for the Dr. to finish up her report.

AND he actually ate dinner- amazing!

He got to choose a new toy for being so good- though I don't know if it made a difference to him, seeing as how we almost always let him choose a new toy (see him making the motor noise with his lips?) at the PX... In some things we're big sissies. Unlike our crazy tough kid...


6 comments:

Laura said...

Poor kid-what a tropper! I have yet to take a kid to the hospital. I don't look forward to that because I get queasy myself!

Jen Hamner said...

I started crying at the silent tear part...what a great kid. I cried more when I saw him in the shopping cart car all alone; wish Kennedi could be there to brighten his spirits! We miss you all so much and think (and usually talk) about you everyday!

Jessie, Tony & Basil said...

i cried at the shmallow part, too, jen! my lil tough guy. ugh i miss him. we are going to have matching scars on our foreheads. i actually planned this out. well. his might be a bit bigger than mine. hes so funny. and yeah, i can tell it wasnt al's most favourite thing in the world. i know that look. ive seen it pointed at me often. hehehee! i love you, al.

Jessie, Tony & Basil said...

and p.s. youre so beautiful, sara. how do you do it? going to the hospital and everything. the two hospital pictures with you and him are two (well, of many) of my favourites on your blog. i miss you.

gma chrissie said...

I know tough E.R. people who have to stay out of the room when it's their kid getting the treatment. I'm amazed Alex could sit there--front row seat-style--and maintain his composure. And sweet little Jence!! Ripe ol' age of nearly two and so much hospital experience already....Did you take the mmallows with you? Way to plan, esp. in a stressful time. I agree w/ JJ: I think you look fantastic Sara! And I like your hair long and dark.

Deanna said...

Sarah! It's a small world after all. Paula and Phil just moved in my ward in GA. They gave me your blog address. Congrats on such a cute family. I love that you named him Jensen :) That's my last name now. I'm also so happy that you're traveling the world. Super fun! So glad we can keep in touch now. Love ya!